Saturday 16 April 2011

How to clean a lizard tank by Brynn L

These are my Pygmy Bearded Dragons. They’re 5 years old and very lively.

My tank is 3ft long by 1ft wide and uses allot of sand. I’m not sure how much but there is allot, more then 20 kilos. 


This is how I clean the tank out:

One thing to remember is to NEVER use any house hold cleaning chemicals in the tank or around the reptile because it can be very harmful on the lizard. I use a special type of cleaner called Jurassi Clean. Its an all natural cleaning product that cleans, deodorises and removes any odor from the tank. 

Step 1:
  • Remove the lizard/reptile from the tank into another container and away from any trouble such as dogs/cats. 
  • Take out the decorations in the tank and put in a safe area where it can’t break.
  • I put my tank decorations on a towel on the couch or on the coffee table. 
  • I make my sister hold the lizards in the container because we have 2 dogs and 4 cats and I wont risk it. 

Step 2:
  • Remove all sand/ground covering into a separate container or bucket using a cup or scoop.
  • Vacuum up any left over sand that can’t be picked up.
  • Spray Jurassi Clean or any reptile friendly cleaner in the tank and wipe away with paper towel or cloth. Continue until the whole tank is clean. On the outside of the tank it is ok to use spray and wipe or other glass cleaners making sure none gets into the tank.

Step 3:
  • Using a cup and civ pour the dirty sand into the civ and get rid of the waste. Do this until all the sand is back into the tank.
  • Make sure all the clean sand is out and has fallen back into the tank.


Step 4:
  • Put decorations back in and design the tank the way you like.
  • Put the lizards back in and watch how happy they are in their clean tank.


Thanks for reading 







No comments:

Post a Comment